Header

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Madame Bollinger

I have always loved Lily Bollinger's quote on drinking Champagne (or "not drinking") and last month marked the 50 year anniversary of when she was first quoted :

"I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it—unless I’m thirsty."




As Christmas approaches I for one will be stocking up my fridge with several bottles of Champagne and have already decided on my breakfast Champers - Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2000. This is excellent value and absolutely delicous at the moment.






If you are looking for something a little less grand but equally delicious then I would highly recommend the Cuvée Millésimée Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs 2002, Pierre Moncuit. This is an outstanding wine for the price and truly representative of the perfect vintage conditions in 2002. It boasts citrus flavours and a streak of minerality with rich, toasty notes and a long complex finish. The ideal aperitif Champagne!

 

By Claire Scott-Gall

No comments:

Post a Comment