Header

Friday 23 December 2011

What will I be drinking this Christmas? By Johnny Paterson

This year it has been a really tough choice for us whether to have goose or turkey, and this year we are having turkey. Controversial as the old man will be muttering under his breath that this is an American invention, like coca cola...anyway the questions mount as I have had no time to plan what to have with this beast of a bird. So I have played it safe and gone into the depths of my small and decreasing cellar, to find something we can all enjoy… 

So to begin with on Christmas morning I will be cracking into some of the lovely 2002 Pierre Moncuit Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Champagne. This should keep my mother sane while she slaves over the oven and my sister quiet for at least a few seconds. Then I think we might have to have some white Burgundy to keep the old man happy, otherwise we may lose him to the shed sooner than we like. So I will deploy some 2007 Puligny Montrachet Domaine Louis Carillon which might be a touch young but I just want to taste it as I have not had a sniff of it since I tried it out of the barrel at the domaine when we visited to taste the new wines back in 2006.

Hopefully by this point everyone will be jolly and not interested in the little gem I am going to sneak on the table to wash down the turkey...1998 Nuits St Georges 1er cur les Chaignots by Domaine Georges Mugneret Gibourg. This has been waving at me every time I go into my cellar for about two years and I have had to use all of my small will power not to open this bottle. I just hope it will be as good as I imagine it will be. Finally to finish off a bottle of Vin de Constance 2005- a nod to my South African wife and also one of my favourite pudding wines.

Hopefully this will all lead to a great Christmas and much contented snoring on the sofa by mid afternoon. I can’t wait!


By Johnny Paterson, London Trade Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment