Header

Friday 23 December 2011

My Christmas wine choice, by Martin Wheatley

One of my favourite combinations at Christmas time is smoked fish and Champagne.  Every Christmas Eve it is becoming customary in my house to enjoy a simple meal, with a centrepiece of Gleneagles Paté. A combination of Smoked Salmon, Smoked Trout and Smoked Mackerel needs nothing more than savoury biscuits and good bread to really set the Christmas scene. Nothing showy, but very much in keeping with tradition for this day and certainly served with one eye firmly focused on the excesses of the gluttonous day to come! 


In the past I have really let my hair down with my champagne matches. As I write I remember a brace of Louis Roederer Cristal vintages and the same of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, however, this year my selection is far more humble. Perhaps as a sign of the economic times, or more likely my ever increasing mortgage commitments; this year I will be enjoying the fabulous Pierre Moncuit Grand Cru Non-Vintage.  Crisp, fresh, 100% Chardonnay and ready to tackle the strong paté flavours head on; this is so festive you could put an star on it and call it a Norwegian Spruce!  


By Martin Wheatley, Private Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment