Header

Thursday 17 January 2013

When Ruchottes changed my life, by Alex Robertson

2012 has been a fantastic year for me on the tasting front and whilst flicking through my tasting book I was reminded of an absolute dream of a tasting I enjoyed with my colleagues as guests of a Bancroft client. At a favourite BYO restaurant near our offices we were spoiled with the opportunity to compare a line-up of Burgundies from Georges Mugneret Gibourg and Joseph Roty. 
 
Philippe Roty


 We began the tasting with the sublimely elegant Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle-Musigny Les Feusselottes 1999, followed by the more masculine grand cru Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot 1997. Next, a 1993 Joseph Roty Gevrey-Chambertin Les Champs Chenys, which was also a true beauty. These wines are in such high demand on release of the vintage that I had only every tasted barrel samples of recent vintages. To taste them in their maturing states was a hugely memorable moment in my wine tasting life but the next wine totally blew me away. 
Mugneret-Gibourg


The two glasses of Georges Mugneret Ruchottes-Chambertin 1988 were definitely the most enjoyable glasses of wine for me in 2012. I will be making sure that the clarets in my cellar make space for future release from these two star Burgundy producers! 

Written by Alex Robertson, Private Client Sales Manager


No comments:

Post a Comment