Header

Thursday 7 August 2014

Rachael Leach: Life as 'the intern'

We've had some great help over the last few weeks in the Bancroft office from Rachael Leach, English Literature student at St Andrews University and apprentice at St Andrews Wines.

Here Rachael reports on her time as 'the intern'...



How has your time as ‘the intern’ here been?
It has been really fantastic. I haven’t had one dull day and the month seems to have flown by. From gallivanting around Kent with Jason to editing the website, every day has been a giggle and I am incredibly grateful to everyone for making me feel so welcome (despite Kenny’s repeated attempts to make me lead the office singing – beware future interns …this is not a thing!). And a particular thank you to Sophie (Marketing Manager) who has looked after me so well and guided me through some important learning curves at Bancroft such as how the coffee machine works and what exactly a franking machine is.

What do you think of Bancroft Wines?
I think it is both a wonderful company to work within and also a fantastic facility for the market catering for big companies, restaurants and small independents with elegance and ease.

What have you learnt while you’ve been here?
Probably the most important thing is how vital it is to love your job. I have worked in companies where people don’t and coming into Bancroft is a breath of fresh air as everyone has a real passion for what they do. I’ve also learnt a lot of marketing and website skills which I think will be invaluable in the future.

What has been your highlight?
It’s a close call between meeting Rosemary Shrager who is just a ball of energy and helping to run the Bancroft Bar at the Team London Bridge Open Kitchen. It was a really chilled evening with lots of delicious food and a chance to sample some of Bancroft’s portfolio. The chilled Wild South Pinot Noir was a definite favourite although in competition for my favour with the Kientzler Riesling. I also really enjoyed using the skills I’ve gained from retail experience to sell brilliant quality wine by the glass to people who were evidently interested in buying interesting and new products.

What will you take with you in your continued wine journey (if we haven’t completely put you off?!)
To learn as much as possible and to avoid buying fine wine at all costs – I will bankrupt myself very quickly!

Will this change the way you work when you’re at St Andrews wines?
Definitely. I think often in retail we forget how much we ask of companies like Bancroft but also how many resources they can give us. I will definitely be using the technical sheets and promotional material much more as they are such a great link between the customer and the producer which is what people seem to be wanting more and more.

What’s your desert island wine?
This is a hard one because I actually present Desert Island Discs on student radio in St Andrews so I am used to asking the questions not answering them! Having said that it would probably have to be Picpoul de Pinet – it is light and refreshing and would go brilliantly with all of those lovely fish I would catch on my island for dinner.   

Any plans for the rest of the holidays?
I’ve got a bit of summer Uni work to do and then off to Mauritius for 2 weeks to soak up some sun before returning to the beautiful but very cold St Andrews. 

Thank you Rachael for all your hard work!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment