Header

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Bancroft's newest recruit: meet Ben McVeigh-Whitaker

Ben McVeigh-Whitaker is new to our orders desk - get to know him here, and on the phone when you place your next order... we get to know what makes him tick. Welcome Ben!


What were you doing before you came to Bancroft?

I was a sommelier at 28-50 Wine Workshop & Kitchen…if you want incredible value fine wine in a London restaurant, go there!

How did you discover your love for wine?

Errr…Chilean Reds? Maybe not a traditional wine trade answer, but I remember at the very start being extremely taken with their big and bold flavours, and this led me to explore!  I decided it was definitely love in the tasting room at Mouton Rothschild.
In your experience, what is the most important thing that people need to know when buying a bottle?

I think it’s an indication of style. Generally speaking I don’t think people are too interested in whether they are tasting cherries or raspberries. For me it’s better to describe wine in broader stylistic terms.

What are your favourite regions at the moment? Favourite wines? How did you come across them?

So hard – I love the fact that there are lots of emerging regions – Simcic’s Sauvignon is just incredible and people are always surprised and enthralled by it. It’s a unique style and a very special wine. Rioja is an all-time favourite, I don’t think it can quite reach the ethereal elegance of Burgundy, but there is just something so comforting and pleasing about a lovely glass of old school, traditional Rioja.

Where did you learn Spanish?

Central America.  Learn is not really the right word to describe my experience with the Spanish language, but I must keep trying.

What are your plans for Bank holiday weekend?

Planting and tending to my soon-to-be bumper crop of tomatoes.

Ask ben more about his green fingers when you next place an order: 020 7232 5470 

We are hiring! Check out our other latest vacancies here...

No comments:

Post a Comment