Header

Thursday 18 August 2011

Wine Wednesday: Thursday 18th August 2011

In attendance:  Amy, Claire, Stephen, Alex and Martin

So I was late.  Excusably so, because the Chairman of Bancroft called me – he wanted a chat about some things, but I had my priorities straight so I made an excuse, rushed off the phone (sorry Peter), dashed to the courtyard and found some Bancroft Boys waiting for me.  But this time it was special, this time Claire was there. 

Claire who posts my blog, Claire who edits my blog, Claire who I imagine sits there thinking ‘why does Amy keep writing all this crazy stuff, which can’t possibly go on the website?’  Well, now Claire knows that what I have been writing has been an exercise in discretion, a toned down, (almost) publishable, story of Wine Wednesday.  

Today didn’t start well as we arrived, dripping wet at the Maltings Café.  Somehow, and for no fathomable reason we all thought that it was shut.  We panicked.  Three bottles of wine (and a bottle of Sherry), five people and nowhere to go.  Not in fact the case.  The waitress helped us through the door (by opening it) and established that having failed to book, we required her to evict a (not quite) newborn child and its mother from the best table.  With no qualms we settled in for the afternoon.  As we opened a bottle, Alex’s first question was ‘what time do you close?’

Conversation was intellectual. Stephen was having a bad day as he had somehow arranged for about 3,000 ice buckets and bottle openers to arrive at our office which were currently occupying the boardroom from floor to ceiling. Alex felt he shouldn’t drink too much as he had a date tonight. Martin did another gopher impression.  I wowed Stephen with stories of my international goat sightings and learned that I will soon be able to cross another breed off my I - Spy list when I encounter the Picos Goats  - I will confirm whether they have one leg longer than the other on my return.  Alex is sure they do, and he thinks they are probably related to the famous Cat Eating Haggis of Mull! “Is it like the Loch Ness Monster?” asked Claire.  

Meanwhile there was some food and wine. The boys and Claire ate some beef. Alex, it turns out, likes meat a lot; I found out he gets meat deliveries at work. Stephen ate the ravioli and I had some gnocchi, made especially for me, as there wasn’t a vegetarian option on the menu. All delicious and charmingly served as ever.


The wines all showed extremely well:

Andre Kientzler Pinot Blanc 2009
The perfect aperitif: dry, clean, mineral with attractive stone fruit on the nose and palate.

Luigi Bosca Finca La Linda Corte Reservado, Malbec & Syrah 2008
A wine not currently on our list from the famed Luigi Bosca estate.  Great intensity on the nose of violets and raspberries.  A powerful palate of ripe red berries, prunes, spice with a beautifully balanced and refreshing finish.

A new addition to the LAN range, this is made solely from Tempranillo and aged for 10 months in American oak producing a modern style Rioja. Intense ripe fruit with hints of blackberries, spice, and liquorice. Very well priced in between the Reserva and Gran Reserva.

Hidalgo La Gitana Manzanilla SherryMartin’s new addiction, nutty with a salty tang and life giving properties to keep him going...

Some coffees later, we went back to work.   

No blog next week as Wine Wednesday is on holiday but if you miss us just let Stephen know. You can have Bancroft bottle opener to fill the void.   

Written by Amy Ramage

No comments:

Post a Comment