Header

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Hartenberg Mackenzie comparison and Paul Pillot 2005, by Claire Scott-Gall

I spent last weekend with my in-laws in the countryside and yet again was utterly spoilt with good food and excellent wine. My husband and I store wine in his father’s cellar since the “cellar” in our one bed flat in London merely equates to a cupboard under the stairs. It is always very exciting delving into the boxes we keep there (I must make an inventory next time!) and this visit we found a bottle of Hartenberg Mackenzie 2004 that we bought on our first trip to South Africa in 2007. I couldn’t believe it when Will’s dad pulled out a bottle of the 2006! Having never done a Mackenzie vintage comparison, I was beside myself.


The 2004 was mature and ready to drink. It boasted delicious ripe black berry fruit, cigar box spice, cinnamon and vanilla. It had a wonderful velvety texture with superb structure and a terrific herbal note on the finish, reminiscent of freshly cut hay. The 2006 on the other hand seemed quite young with a more closed nose of red and black fruits, green peppers and stony minerality. The 2006 seemed much more elegant in style and could outshine the 2004 in a few years time. 

Before the reds, Will and I convinced his dad that the Chassagne-Montrachet, 1er Cru Clos Saint Jean 2005 by Paul Pillot simply had to be cracked open. I am a huge fan of white Burgundy and was simply in heaven. Superb concentration, delicious citrus and peach flavours with a streak of minerality bringing great freshness to this stunning white wine. Pillot at its absolute best.
I cannot wait until our next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment