Header

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Never Stop Working, by Johnny Paterson

For the past few weeks I have been on holiday in the Cape and was lucky enough to spend a few days with the lovely people at Hartenberg Estate in Stellenbosch. I visited them a few years ago but only briefly and so I was looking forward to a proper visit this time round.



As I drove up the 2km drive past beautiful vineyards I felt a broad smile appearing on my face as I remembered the warm welcome I had received last time I had been there. This feeling just got better when I met James, Tanya, Carl, Heleen, Gavin, and the rest of the team including the three frogs and the horse sized cat they own. These guys know how to make you feel welcome especially as their estate is in the most beautiful location. The vineyards cover about 80ha with an extra 60ha given over to a wet land, which is a Mecca for wildlife.



After thinking they would all be up to their elbows in grapes (at it was the middle of harvest) and that the winery would be on high alert and that no one would be able to spare me a minute I found the exact opposite..Calm, peace and relaxed people everywhere. We had a leisurely lunch, and a stroll around the vineyards and then a fantastic tasting.



They got their revenge however by suggesting that I gave them a hand picking some Riesling the next day. So at 6am I crawled out of bed and made my way outside in the early dawn to pick grapes. This was a hardship for someone on holiday I can tell you. Once in the vineyard though and picking, I was in heaven and wished I had done more, but I ended up chatting too much to the vineyard manager and not picking quickly enough compared to the professionals. It was a great experience and a joy to be picking Riesling in South Africa.



So here is to the 2012 Riesling which I had a small hand in making and a huge thank you to the lovely people at the estate.

Written by Johnny Paterson, London Trade Sales

No comments:

Post a Comment